torstai 16. syyskuuta 2010

My comic book history

Thanks to my older brother I got into comics at a very young age. His shelves were filled with such comics as "Tarzan", "Tex Willer", "Spider-man", "Asterix", "Indiana Jones", "X-Men" and so on. I started buying my own comics when I went to school and bought stuff like "Transformers" and "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". But I'd say I really fell in love with comic in 1996 when my cousin showed me this new comic book he'd just bought. It was Todd MacFarlane's "Spawn". After discovering that one I bought some random comics like "The Sandman - Preluders and Nocturnes" by Neil Gaiman (later this vanished god knows where) and James O'Barr's "The Crow" (same goes for this one). Years went buy and then around 2005 or so I got excited about comics again. I've slowly started to get more titles in my collection. Here's some series that I'm collecting at the moment as TPBs.

"100 Bullets"
"Chew"
"Preacher"
"The Walking Dead"

In the mail as I'm writing this are some critically acclaimed trade paper backs that I'm really excited to get my hands on. "We3", "Ex Machina" and "Transmetropolitan" to name a couple. Comics that I'm really enjoying at the moment are "100 Bullets", "Chew", "Preacher" and "The Walking Dead". My plan is to to get volume 1's from a few different titles and see which ones I have to get as a whole on my shelf.

When I was in my teens I used to come up with some comic book characters myself and made a few strips but nothing that really came to fruition. Now after reading all those comics I've mentioned, I'm working on a few ideas in my head. I'm not much of a drawer anymore, haven't drawn in many years, but I guess I might come up with something that looks like mine. Besides the most important thing in creating anything really, is that you're enjoying it and that you do it for yourself and not for others. If they like it, great. If not, then so be it. Then again, this is just my opinion. I just think that when it comes to creating something of your own, you should do as little ass-kissing to please others as possible.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti